Last Content Update:
In May of 2022, the City of Sun Prairie received a grant from the Wisconsin Department of Children and Families (DCF) to address the need of building childcare supply in the community. As part of this grant, the City and a group of community stakeholders participated in a strategic supply-building planning process. The outcome of this process was a Strategic Supply-Building Plan, which focused on three main goals:
1.) Develop a consortium of child care providers in sun Prairie and align regional childcare resources to help support the local child care industry while encouraging more regulated childcare options in the community.
2.) Build the child care workforce in Sun Prairie through advocacy and partnerships, and increased community awareness.
3.) Establish a grant program with rolling deadlines, to be administered by the City of Sun Prairie, aimed at increasing and retaining child care providers in Sun Prairie.
Read the full Strategic Supply-Building Plan here.
Resources for Sun Prairie Childcare Providers
- 4-C Dane County
- Wisconsin Early Childhood Association
- Wisconsin DCF - Starting a Licensed Child Care
- Wisconsin DCF - Wisconsin Child Care Certification
- RECENTLY ANNOUNCED: Sun Prairie Childcare Supply Building Grant (CSBG) Program
- The Childcare Supply-Building Grant Program provides eligible childcare providers, or future childcare providers with the opportunity to secure financial assistance or projects that will enhance their services and facilities. With a total budget of $75,000, grants will be awarded on a limited basis, covering up to 100% of project expenses, with a maximum grant amount of $10,000. The CSBG Program seeks to add or retain childcare slots in Sun Prairie, as an effort to ensure that the community’s childcare supply can keep up with its increasing need for more slots.
Resources for Families Seeking Childcare
- Sun Prairie Chamber of Commerce - Childcare/Education Member Listing
- Sun Prairie Area School District 4K Program
- Wisconsin Department of Children and Families Licensed Childcare Provider Directory
- Youngstar Childcare Provider Search
The important work of addressing childcare challenges in Sun Prairie cannot be done without a diverse representation of stakeholders in the community. The Core Team guiding this work is made up of representatives from various community organizations. The Core Team is listed below:
- Kristin Grissom, Director of Parks, Recreation & Forestry, City of Sun Prairie
- Hope Ballentine, Assistant VP Of Operations, Boys & Girls Club of Dane County
- Mike Beale, Economic Development Specialist, City of Sun Prairie
- Barbara Behling, Outreach & Events Coordinator, Sun Prairie Chamber of Commerce
- Christine Bright, Founder of Parenting Game, LLC
- Katey Kamoku, Executive Director, Explore Children's Museum
- Katie Neuman, Owner, Goddard School of Sun Prairie
- Jen Tooley, Branch Manager, Sun Prairie YMCA
- Janelle Vreugdenhil, Community Social Worker, Joining Forces for Families
- Luann Williams, Child & Family Programming Director, Reach Dane