Chicken Licenses

How to Obtain a City of Sun Prairie Chicken-Keeping License

  1. Register with the Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection. This registration is free. Please refer to their website for more information on how to do this.
  2. Complete a Special Use Permit Application (PDF) and turn it in to the Planning Department located on the 2nd floor of City Hall located at 300 E. Main Street. For more information, please see the Planning Department's website.
  3. Once you have obtained approval of your Special Use Permit, complete the Chicken-Keeping License Application (PDF) and turn it into the City Clerk's Office located on the 1st floor of City Hall located at 300 E. Main Street.

License Fee

  • $35.00 for the Special Use Permit (This is a one-time charge for as long as you keep your coop and enclosure in the same place). No fee until January 1 of the following year.
  • $15.00 per year after that due by December 31st.
  • $5.00 per month late fee charged the 1st of each month beginning February 1.

Dane County Public Health Department has good information regarding backyard chickens.

All licenses expire on December 31st

The keeping of chickens in the City of Sun Prairie requires the granting of a special use permit per Section 17.16.140 prior to the construction of a coop/enclosure.