Pollinator Garden Information & Resources
What is a Pollinator Garden?
An area that has plants that flower throughout the entire growing season.
What are some of the benefits of a pollinator garden?
Public Locations of Pollinator Gardens (and growing!):
- City Hall
- Community Garden, located east of Library
- Fox Point Park
- Grandview Park
- Hunter’s Ridge Park
- Orfan Park (2 areas)
- Sheehan Park – Memorial Garden for Sue Larson
- Sunny Valley Park
- Vandenburg Heights Park (2 areas)
- West Prairie Village Park
- Wetmore Park (2 areas)
- Westside Community Services Building
- Wyndham Hills Park
We are actively seeking and creating pollinator gardens throughout the city! So far there are approximately 16 separate locations throughout the city. Every year we hope to provide more resources for local pollinator populations!
These gardens have been made possible through generous donations and support from:
- Dane County Plant Dane Program (https://www.ripple-effects.com/Plant-Dane)
- Downtown Business Improvement District (BID) https://cityofsunprairie.com/537/Business-Improvement-District
- Garden For Wildlife, National Wildlife Federation (https://www.nwf.org/home/garden-for-wildlife)
- Parks, Recreation, and Forestry Commission
- Sun Prairie Park Friends https://parksfriends.org/
- Sustainability Committee
- White Pelican Farms (https://www.whitepelicanfarm.com/)
In addition, the City is actively participating in efforts to increase pollinator resources in our local community by supporting reduced mowing activities during the early part of the growing season (e.g. No/Low Mow May) and participating in the Mayor’s Monarch Pledge.
- University of Wisconsin- Madison – Wisconsin Pollinators https://pollinators.wisc.edu/
- Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources – Saving WI Native Pollinators https://dnr.wisconsin.gov/topic/endangeredresources/pollinators
- Dane County – Plant Selection Tips https://www.ripple-effects.com/Native-Gardens-Plant-Selection
- Xerces Society – Native Plants for Pollinators & Beneficial Insects: Great Lakes https://xerces.org/publications/plant-lists/native-plants-for-pollinators-and-beneficial-insects-great-lakes
If you are interested in volunteering your time or resources to creating and/or maintaining areas for pollinators in the City of Sun Prairie, go to www.VolunteerSunPrairie.com
If you would like to get involved or have additional questions, reach out to Cindy Burtley, Parks and Forestry Director at firstname.lastname@example.org!