Appeals to Circuit Court

If you are found guilty in Municipal Court, you may appeal that decision to the Dane County Circuit Court. You must file a notice of appeal and pay the filing fee within 20 days of the decision.

How to Request an Appeal

You may request that the Circuit Court take your appeal in 1 of 3 ways:

  • You may request that the court review the transcript of the Municipal Court trial and make a decision based on that review.
  • You may request a trial before the Circuit Court judge.
  • You may also request a trial by jury in Circuit Court.

Obtaining an Appeal

The appeal form may be obtained from the Sun Prairie Municipal Court. Once an appeal is filed in Circuit Court, the Municipal Court judgment and sentence are stayed or stopped. No action is taken to enforce the judgment and sentence pending the appeal.