- Public Services
- Public Works
- Materials Management
- Brush/Composting/Yard Materials Information
Brush/Composting/Yard Materials Information
Summary, Best Practices, & Resources
Brush, yard waste, and organic material in general will be managed depending on the type and volume of material. Listed below are guidelines for brush and yard waste disposal, along with resources and suggestions for those that wish to compost organic material. Residents seeking to compost on their property should review Chapter 17.16 - LAND USE REGULATIONS | Code of Ordinances | Sun Prairie, WI | Municode Library 20 On-Site Composting and review the linked resources below to determine what organic material types are compostable. The city also facilitates a Spring group compost bin sale and accepts pre-orders on a rolling basis. Submit your pre-order for the 2023 compost bin sale: Open Town Hall - Compost Bins for 2023
Brush & Yard Waste Information
Brush collections are performed by the Sun Prairie Public Works Department. Brush is collected curb-side starting in April through November. Yard waste collections are performed by Pellitteri Waste Systems. Yard waste is collected twice in the spring and twice in the fall. Brush materials are not the same as yard waste. Please review the collection information and guidelines for proper set out.
Brush vs. Yard Waste
- Woody material trimmed from trees, shrubs or bushes
- Branches in long segments that can be handled by one person
Yard waste includes:
- Leaves, weeds, garden trimmings, and other plant debris.
Please separate yard waste and leaves from brush. We will not collect mixed piles.
2023 Brush Collection Weeks
- Monday, April 3
- Monday, May 1
- Monday, June 5
- Monday, July 3
- Monday, August 7
- Tuesday, September 5
- Monday, October 2
- Monday, November 6
Brush (sticks and branches) is collected curbside mid-April through mid-November. During these months, collections are scheduled for brush that is generated by city residents who are receiving city-sponsored automated refuse and recycle cart curbside collections.
Set brush curbside by 7:00 a.m. on the 1st day of the collection week. To ensure your brush is collected, place materials curbside appropriately. Brush may not get collected if placed out incorrectly. Review the Brush Dos and Do Nots photos. Call the Public Works Department at 608-837-3050 with further questions.
- Brush must be stacked neatly at the curb, piled no more than 4 feet high, with cut ends facing the curb.
- Leave branches in long segments, as long as 1 person can handle. Do not cut into small segments.
- Brush should not be piled in a manner that affects motorist visibility, and should also be kept away from trees, signs, parked cars, mailboxes, fire hydrants, and utility poles.
- Do not put brush in bags, boxes, or trash containers - we will not pick it up. Keep brush in back of curb.
- Materials greater than 8 inches in diameter must be cut into manageable pieces, and kept separate from brush. Logs and branches 4 inches or more in diameter must be trimmed of all small branches. Materials less than 1 inch in diameter must be tied together in 4 foot bundles, not exceeding 50 pounds.
- We will not collect brush that is cut or trimmed by contractors. Contractors hired by property owners are responsible for removing the material. Collections are for brush and tree trimmings from a typical residential clean-up, not entire tree removals.
- Do not mix yard waste in with your brush pile, neither will be collected.
- Keep brush free of wire, tape, or inorganic materials. The use of string or twine is acceptable.
2023 Yard Waste Collection Weeks
- Monday, April 10
Monday, May 8-- Tuesday, May 30
- Monday, November 6
- Monday, November 27
Yard Waste Information
Yard waste is categorized as leafy vegetation that composts in a short period of time. Leaves, grass, garden waste and shrub trimmings are yard waste. Collections are scheduled in advance to attempt to meet the needs of residents and is collected curbside twice in the spring and twice in the fall.
Materials must be placed at the curb by 7:00 a.m. on Monday of the designated collection week and they will be picked up sometime during that week or the next (depending on weather, equipment/crew availability, and amount of materials out to be collected throughout the city).
Yard waste can also be disposed of at the Recycle Center.
Yard Waste Guidelines
- Materials placed at the curb for collection on the scheduled weeks must be placed into open trash bags, garbage cans (no lids) or storage containers (no lids).
- Leave a container out for your empty plastic bags, crews will not take the plastic bags.
- To be collected, bags/containers should weigh no more than 50 lbs.
- Please do not mix brush or garbage with the materials.
Once a neighborhood has been collected, the crews will not return to that area until the next scheduled collection. Due to varying conditions, specific collection days of the week cannot be projected for each neighborhood.
Materials are not collected in one day. Collections will be conducted in the most expedient method possible, but inclement weather and mechanical problems may create delays. The collections will take place during the same weeks for the entire city.
Collections are generally completed within one week, if you have not been picked up within that time, please call Public Works at 608-837-3050 to inform them of the missed collection. Items will only be considered missed and rescheduled if they were set out by the first day of collection.