Brush Collection Information
Brush (sticks and branches) is collected curbside mid-April through mid-November. During these months, collections are scheduled for brush that is generated by city residents who are receiving city-sponsored automated refuse / recycle cart curbside collections.
Set brush curbside by 7 a.m. on the 1st day of the collection week. To ensure your brush is collected, place materials curbside appropriately. Brush may not get collected if placed out incorrectly. Review the Brush Dos and Do Nots photos. Call the Public Works Department at 608-837-3050 with further questions.
- Brush must be stacked neatly at the curb, piled no more than 4 feet high, with cut ends facing the curb.
- Leave branches in long segments, as long as 1 person can handle. Do not cut into small segments.
- Brush should not be piled in a manner that affects motorist visibility, and should also be kept away from trees, signs, parked cars, mailboxes, fire hydrants, and utility poles.
- Do not put brush in bags, boxes, or trash containers - we will not pick it up. Keep brush in back of curb.
- Materials greater than 8 inches in diameter must be cut into manageable pieces, and kept separate from brush. Logs and branches 4 inches or more in diameter must be trimmed of all small branches. Materials less than 1 inch in diameter must be tied together in 4 foot bundles, not exceeding 50 pounds.
- We will not collect brush that is cut or trimmed by contractors. Contractors hired by property owners are responsible for removing the material. Collections are for brush and tree trimmings from a typical residential clean-up, not entire tree removals.
- Do not mix yard waste in with your brush pile, neither will be collected.
- Keep brush free of wire, tape, or inorganic materials. The use of string or twine is acceptable.
2022 Brush Collection Weeks
- Monday, April 4
- Monday, May 2
- Monday, June 6
- Tuesday, July 5
- Monday, August 1
- Tuesday, September 6
- Monday, October 3
- Monday, November 7
Once a neighborhood has been collected, the crews will not return to that area until the next scheduled collection. Due to varying conditions, specific collection days of the week cannot be projected for each neighborhood.
Materials are not collected in one day. Collections will be conducted in the most expedient method possible, but inclement weather and mechanical problems may create delays. The collections will take place during the same weeks for the entire city.
Collections are generally completed within one week, if you have not been picked up within that time, please call Public Works at 608-837-3050 to inform them of the missed collection. Items will only be considered missed and rescheduled if they were set out by the first day of collection.