Do I need a permit to run a business from my home?

In most cases, yes, a special use permit is needed to operate a home occupation. A special use permit is a staff approval that is relatively quick and requires a $50 application fee. The home occupation standards are included in the application packet for this type of permit.

In situations that involve the handling of food or live plants or the care or treatment of people or animals in the home, a conditional use permit (CUP) is needed. A CUP requires review and approval by the Plan Commission and the City Council. Contact the Planning Department at 608-825-1107 for more information.

Home Occupation Permit Application

Show All Answers

1. What is the existing land use for a property?
2. When do I need a Zoning Permit?
3. What is the zoning of my property?
4. Do I need a permit to run a business from my home?
5. Can I park my RV on my residential property?
6. How tall can my fence be?
7. How do I find out about pending development in the city?