Cable Access Telecommunications Commission
Duties of the Cable Access Telecommunications Commission
The duties of the cable access telecommunication commission include:
- Advising the City Council on applications for and compliance with franchise agreements.
- Facilitating the resolution of disagreements among franchisees, subscribers, and public and private users of the telecasting facilities.
- Advising the City Council on the regulation of rates.
- Encouraging use of access channels among the widest range of institutions, groups and individuals within the City.
- Making an annual report to the council, including an account of franchise fees received and distributed, the total number of hours of utilization of public channels, and hourly subtotals of various programming categories, and a review of any plans submitted during the year by the franchisee for development of new services.
- Conducting periodic evaluation of the system, make recommendations to the council for amendments to this chapter or the franchise agreements.
- Being responsible for the overall regulation of the cable provider and the operation of the City's public access channels (KSUN and KIDS-4).
- Managing and supervising the daily operation of the public access channels and keep the common council advised of the status of the public access channels (KSUN and KIDS-4).
- Safeguarding, maintaining and supervising the operation of City-owned equipment entrusted to its care.
- Providing equitable access to public access channels and facilities for all Sun Prairie citizens seeking access.
- Developing programs to increase the public's knowledge and use of the community access channels which are made available under the franchise.
- Developing an annual fiscal budget and submit it to the City of Sun Prairie each year.
- Accepting monetary donations and gifts of equipment in the name of the City. These funds shall only be expended with the approval of the Commission.
- Entering into cooperative agreements with other governmental, educational and public service groups in order to produce appropriate community television programs.
- Allocating an appropriate share of the franchise revenues received from the operation of the cable system to support programming for children.
Read the full description of the Cable Access Telecommunications Commission in Chapter 2.44 in the Sun Prairie Municipal Code of Ordinances.
The Commission meets monthly at the discretion of the Commission Chairperson, which is normally scheduled for the 1st Wednesday of the Month at 7:30 a.m. at the Sun Prairie Media Center.